Where is the Fine Line?

 

      Push Yourself

The Value:

    We have all heard a variety of quotes that all circle back to the idea of pushing yourself. Push yourself to work harder, be better, be faster, be stronger, etc. This is a value that has been nailed into our heads since we were young. 
   

Finding the Middle Ground:

                        The Nook

    Throughout the years, I have tried to find the fine line between pushing myself while simultaneously giving myself grace and listening to my body. The moral conflict I faced over the value "push yourself", started after I quit my sports. I realized what once fulfilled me no longer did. Yes, I could've stuck it out until my senior year and could've had four-year athlete on my college applications, but I chose to put myself first. 
    This is when I started to realize that there is balance between pushing yourself and taking care of yourself. Too much of a good thing is always a bad thing. When you push yourself too hard, you get burnt out, but when you give yourself too much grace you make excuses and potential is lost. 
    Do I know where the fine line is? No, I don't. However, I will say the more conscious I am that this balance exists the better I am getting at making the choice in the moment. I encourage you to consider that pushing yourself and giving yourself grace can coexist. It does not have to be one or the other and it shouldn't be one or the other.  

Comments